[OM] Re: can your digital do this?

Subject: [OM] Re: can your digital do this?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:14:20 +0100
Hi all,

>From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Chromatic aberration programs fix lateral chromatic aberration, which is the
>image magnification being different for different colors.
<SNIP>
>Your picture looks, to me, like longitudinal chromatic aberration which is
>due to different colors having different focal lengths
<SNIP>

Paul made an excellent point on this. I only could add that *lateral*
chromatic aberration (aka lateral colour or fringing) is usually found on
wide-angles, and *longitudinal* chromatic aberration is typical of large
aperture teles -- thus the common use of APO/ED/LD glass on those 300/2.8
and the like.

>From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<SNIP>
>And yes, we usually see chroma on the edges of wide
>angles

That's right -- the *lateral* type, of course.

>but the highly corrected Zuikos 18/3.5 may be an exception. Besides
>heavier light falloff it is very sharp edge to edge

AFAIK, the Zuiko 18/3.5 is probably the *best* 18mm money can buy -- way
ahead from that expensive L*ica and Z*iss glass. BTW, the Z*iss Distagon
18/4 also suffers from *heavy* light falloff -- at least at f/4.

Enjoy,

PS: Anyone has a bargain-grade Zuiko 18/3.5 for sale? :-) :-) :-)

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>