[OM] Re: Cataloging/browsing tools

Subject: [OM] Re: Cataloging/browsing tools
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:24:02 -0700
At 09:35 AM 06/02/2004, Mark Dapoz wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Anyone got a favorite tool for cataloging their digital files (scans
> > etc.)?  Why is it your favorite?
>
>After looking at all the popular choices, I've settled on using IMatch
>(http://www.photools.com).  You can download a 30 day trial version of
>the software free off their web site.  The main reasons I picked it are
>that it's extremely extensible via a scripting engine (lots of free scripts
>available), and it supports importing/exporting the database via XML.

I've tried IMatch, and I must say I was underwhelmed.  If you're interested
in the programming side of things, then yes, IMatch's got a lot to
recommend it.  If you just want a reasonably simple, flexible thumbnailing
and cataloguing program, IMatch is overblown (and *remarkably* slow in
building thumbnails and databases!).

I've used others off and on, but keep coming back to ThumbsPlus (now at
version 6-something).  It's very fast, and can be used "out-of-the-box"
with virtually zero knowledge of what it's doing under the hood.  It's also
ridiculously stable (I've never found a bug in the program, and I started
using it in a much earlier incarnation almost eight years ago).  As with
most s/w, evaluation versions are available on the 'Net.  You can find it at:

      http://www.thumbsplus.com

It's also got a surprisingly good set of basic image-enhancement tools
included.  You might be able to throw away PaintShop Pro, Photoshop et al.,
depending on your needs, and just use ThumbsPlus.

Garth