[OM] 16 or 18 - was Re: Tamron 180mm f2.5

Subject: [OM] 16 or 18 - was Re: Tamron 180mm f2.5
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:24:55 +1100
>In a message dated 2/6/2004 11:50:10 PM Central Standard Time,
>gordross@xxxxxxx writes:
>What about the 16 and the 18 which would you say is the one to buy?
>Both and if you can't afford that, the Tamron SP 17mm. I like the old version
>with the built in filters.  If you are going with the Zuikos you will likely
>find more applications for the 18mm, however I really like the 16mm.  Both are
>fairly specialized lenses and I do think the 17mm Tamron is a good
>compromise.  Bill Barber

I would hardly describe the 17 as a compromise between the 16 and 18
- but rather as a substitute for the 18. The 16mm is a whole
different class of lens and far harder to use. It's field of view is
wider than the Voigtlander 15mm and 12mm I own as they are
rectilinear, not fisheye. But it is a wonderful lens if you're a wide
freak like me. The 18 or 17 are far more 'useful' - you make a choice
between rectilinear with nice straight lines but light fall off in
the corners, or fish with difficult distortions and a 'special
effect' application.
AndrewF