[OM] Re: USM test re PWP/PS is up

Subject: [OM] Re: USM test re PWP/PS is up
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:24:04 -0500
Whether as good as Miranda's IS plug-in I haven't a clue but PWP's
advanced sharpen function is not a shotgun approach.  In addition to
much more precise controls for radius and amount it also contains a
histogram and slider controls that:

"...lets you perform selective sharpening by including only those
neighbor pixels in the computations that differ by more than a given
threshold amount from the pixel you are sharpening."

The histogram allows you to identify smooth color, edgeless areas such
as sky that should not be sharpened.  You can also choose to sharpen
only luminance and leave the chrominance alone or to sharpen under
control of a mask.

For more detail go to: <http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/> and download the
"Advanced Sharpen" pdf white paper at the left side of the page.
Once again, I don't think it's better.  Just a good deal at USD 90.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA