[OM] Re: Nice 300/2.8 E-1 Picture

Subject: [OM] Re: Nice 300/2.8 E-1 Picture
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 19:21:55 -0800
on 2/8/04 2:40 PM, David Cochran at cochran@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Adam:
>
> Not only film can compete but it can surpass this quality. A 35mm frame is
> almost 4,000 X 4,000 pixels in sizes. If we throw in a medium format film or
> 4X5, 8X10 etc., the large megapixel count will be let cold in the water.
>
> The image is beatiful indeed and one day there will be digital sensors that
> will equal those large formats but film ain't dead yet.
>
>> Can film compete with image quality like that!!! The detail looks amazing! I
>> guess when its blown up to 8x12 or bigger, can we really tell if image
>> quality from digital is starting to surpass film!
>> Thanks for the link Skip
>> Cheers Adam

I figure a 35mm frame at 4000 ppi scan is good for 4000 x 6000 = 24,000,000
individual areas of information each of which can be red, blue, or green.
Since the individual pixels on a digital image sensor are either red, blue,
or green (usually two green for each red and blue) I think the equivalent
information density is equivalent to a 24 megapixel image sensor. Probably
someone can correct me on this, but I hope I got it right...

I think the best 35mm full-frame image sensor currently available yields
about 14,000,000 pixels, so there is a ways to go to get the equivalent
image. Now depending on what the film,lens, and techniques used is, there
may be no information of value in some of those individual pixels (you may
just be imaging the film grain, or be inside the lens's resolution limits,
etc.) but the information is theoretically available. I think... I suppose
its possible that a digital image at lower pixel density can look better, if
each and every pixel is carrying useful information.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...