[OM] Re: 400s

Subject: [OM] Re: 400s
From: Gary Edwards <zuiko_warrior@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:37:08 -0800 (PST)
I believe there were two Sigma 400/5.6 designs.  I have the later, APO internal
focusing, Zen-finish version.  It is excellent, light, and sharp.  As far as I
can tell it doesn't trail my Tamron 400/4 by much and it is very much lighter,
more compact, and cheaper.  A stop slower, so harder to focus, of course.

The older, non-APO, Sigma has a pretty bad reputation, I believe.

I've just now returned from a weekend with my in-laws in New Mexico.  I took
the Sigma along, but didn't get to use it.  No eagles, elk, or antelope this
time; and the 30-odd head of white-tail deer I saw were in deep shadow.  The
Sigma travels much better than the Tamron.

Gary

Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I picked up the Sigma from a list member not long ago and am very
pleased with it. I have never even seen the Hoya, so can't compare but
did own the Zuiko 400 at the time of my Sigma aquisition. It was my
experience that photos from both lenses compared very well even wide
open. In all honesty the Sigma might be a bit sharper than the Zuiko.
Build quality on both lenses is very good, but overall the Zuiko seems
to be more substantial. In handling the Sigma was far superior in my
mind. It is a newer internal focus design. The Sigma's IF design which
is MUCH faster to focus than the Zuiko. It is also a lot smaller and
lighter than the Zuiko. I highly reccomend the lens, I think you will be
very happy with it.

Jim Couch

Donald MacDonald wrote:

>Anyone got a view on third-party 400s for the OM line?
>
>Got my eye on a Hoya and a Sigma, both 5.6, so curious...
>
>TIA,
>
>D.

List Problem"