[OM] Re: Quality of digital vs film

Subject: [OM] Re: Quality of digital vs film
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:26:05 -0500
Sample page #2 is done without ICE or GEM.  See:
<http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/ocesideharbor2.htm>

His defense of using ICE and GEM in most of the comparisons is given on
the same page as:

"I've included these two comparison images specifically to show how well
the 6mp Canon 10D image resolves detail when compared to a 4000 dpi scan
of Provia F ISO 100 at nearly 19mp. This comparison is set on a
particularly level playing field since the same lens and focal length
were used and no post processing was applied to the scanned image. I'm
aware that Nikon Scan's ICE and GEM slightly reduce sharpness in the
final image. The softening of image detail caused by using ICE at
'normal' and GEM at '2' is very minor. My reason for applying ICE and
GEM to the other images in this comparison article is that I use ICE and
GEM in my regular scan to image workflow to avoid tedious touchup and
reduce visible grain. I do this in an attempt to make 35mm photo
enlargement quality more competitive with larger format camera images.
These two post processing tools can really make a favorable difference
in prints of 12X18 inches and larger."

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA