[OM] Re: Quality of digital vs film, was: Nice 300/2.8 E-1 Picture

Subject: [OM] Re: Quality of digital vs film, was: Nice 300/2.8 E-1 Picture
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:20:45 -0800

On Feb 9, 2004, at 3:35 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> As it turns out these kinds of calculations just don't work out to what
> the eye sees as image quality.

I have to agree. Some time ago I did an informal side by side shoot
between my film camera with 4000dpi scans of the slides, and my Coolpix
5700 which is only 5MP on a 2/3" sensor. To my eye the digital shots
were decidedly better up to the equivalent of 11 X 17 inches. Above
that size the scanned image looked a little better. I have to admit
that I was firmly in the film camp before.

Using some kind of grain reducer might have helped the scans. Norman
Koren in his exploration of image quality feels film still has the edge
providing you use some digital process to reduce film grain.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA