[OM] Re: CU on Digital SLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: CU on Digital SLRs
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:51:29 -0800

On Feb 9, 2004, at 6:42 PM, Richard Smith wrote:

> I just got my copy of Consumer Reports, which includes a short
> half-page
> report, "Digital SLR cameras: What the pros use."  This is intended to
> be a
> quick overview, but Olympus won't be happy with the findings:

It is nothing new with CR. The more technical the item the more
irrelevant their ratings get. They are home appliance testers, not
photographers, and really do not understand what they are doing and
assign weights to ratings that you or I might question. I think that is
one reason that their explanations of ratings over the years have
gotten more and more vague. The OM cameras in spite of being superb
cameras never did well in their ratings either, although I think they
liked the point and shoots. I think they were irritated by manual
settings because they downrated them for ease of use. I am sure that
their camera tests are no more than taking some photos and send them to
a commercial processor for 4x6 prints and passing them around the staff
for a rating.

What is best image quality for Pete's sake? And the lens not specified?
Typical.

They constantly compare apples to oranges. I have seen them compare
cheap  Mac computers to expensive PCs and downgrade them for
connectivity because they lacked USB 2 and never mention the standard
FireWire. Even in their areas they are famous for I am sure we have all
been burned by their "best buy" recommendation. I will never forget the
two cra**y Black and Decker items I bought on their recommendation and
which ended up in the trash bin. And their policy to increase
circulation by devising inappropriate testing for SUVs(and I am not an
SUV fan) in order to flunk one and publish the results is
unconscionable. They deserve to be put out of business by the Suzuki
lawsuit.

Sorry. Got carried away.

Winsor
Long Beach, California