[OM] Re: OM-4 question

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:22:54 -0800
on 2/11/04 1:11 AM, Daniel Tan at daniel.tan@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It's possible.
> (I assume the space in the 2SP is the same as in the 4)
> If you put a flat plastic slip in the bottom of the well and solder a
> very thin (possible AWG 50 to maybe 34 at the largest?) wire to the
> spring, you can sneak in a tiny switch. A flat-ish sort of pressure
> switch that clicks on-off would be best, though it would probably be far
> easier just to make yourself a pressure contact switch that sends power
> into the camera while you hold it in.  If you're feeling adventurous,
> you could even see if there's enough space under the bottom plate to
> embed the switch.
>
> I have to say though, I think it would be far neater to machine up a
> package that moves the batteries external to the camera - say a small
> round package about the size of 4xSR44s stacked with a switch on the
> side and a screw threading in the centre to screw into the body.
>
> Of course, I have no way to build one :P
>
> Daniel

Actually what I was thinking of would be a small slide switch (almost like a
one-pole DIP switch, that you could work either through a small hole in the
bottom or if the switch itself had a short handle that you could slide with
your fingernail. Recess the switch slider in a dimple in the bottom, so that
the camera would still sit flat.

This would be mainly a 'circuit breaker' to cut off the battery entirely
when the camera was to be set aside for periods longer than just a few
hours... without the trouble of trying to find a coin and unscrewing the
battery cover (hey, I'm still unemployed, even coins are getting hard to
find around here! <g>)
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...