[OM] Re: Size of pictures on the web was Re: TOPE 17

Subject: [OM] Re: Size of pictures on the web was Re: TOPE 17
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:03:37 -0800
daniel.tan@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I personally find side/down scrolling to view an image irritating. I
>prefer to view the picture as a whole, rather than in 4 quarters. But
>that's just me.

Me too, but I have a largish screen and the browser has a full screen
view function

>  Image quality inspections don't apply here.

For most photos, I'm not so much interested in magnifying the image to
check resolution, noise, etc. I just want the image to be big enough and
with enough image info to react to visually.

>I guess you could make several sizes and have the large image as an
>option. Even so, 2000 might be slightly overkill, since only people with
>21" monitors would consider approaching that resolution. I would vote
>for 1600 width as absolute maximum (which still gives you quite a bit of
>resolution).

For me, something happens around 800 pixels or so and up, where the
image suddenly is big enough to engage my full attention and I feel I
can engage with it. I don't think going to anything over about 1,000
horiz. and 800 vert, the size that full screen mode can show in its
entireity on a 1024x768 screen would add anything. My screen is bigger
than that, but many aren't and that's really enough for me

Moose