[OM] Fertiliser, was OT Efficient Flushing,

Subject: [OM] Fertiliser, was OT Efficient Flushing,
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:49:42 +0000
It is common practice in many parts of the world to use "night soil" to
fertilise crops.  It does not take much for the earth to break down
normal bacteria as I understand it, and the practice was common in
Great Britain for a long time.  The Germans use it every year on their
crops.

You can make use of the gas that is generated by a toilet of this sort
as well ...

My brother lived and worked at the Centre for Alternative Technology
for some years (http://www.cat.org.uk/) where they practise all manner
of measures for green living, including methane toilets in all the
buildings and dwellings.  My current contribution is to use solar
heating for water and to pee on the compost heaps every now and then -
when the neighbours are not looking ;-)

Chris

On 13 Feb 2004, at 05:00, Gregg Iverson wrote:

> I remember some advice as a kid.  Move the outhouse every year and
> plant a
> fruit tree where it was.  It worked well for my great grandfather, but
> somehow I don't think I would enjoy eating the fruit quite as much if I
> knew ----.
>
> gregg

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker