[OM] Re: Film media article

Subject: [OM] Re: Film media article
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:29:12 +0000
A pleasure to do business with you Tris.

On 16 Feb 2004 , at 9:06, Tris Schuler wrote:

> Many thanks, Chris. Picked up the typos. My wife agrees with you re
> "documentary of" and "in" nature. I don't and think Webster's agrees
> with
> me, but the usage cases available to me are few at the moment so I'll
> pass
> on that one--changed it provisionally already.
Fair enough.

> On "due to" we both disagree with you, not in theory but actual usage
> extant on the page. For instance, "due to the varied connect speeds"
> refers
> to the noun "speeds." Even were it referring to "speeding," just for
> example, that gerund form would fulfill the noun case you cite.
You're probably right, but it could refer back to 'issue' rather than
forward to 'connected speeds'/

> Re proper usage in general: there could well be a difference in usage
> depending on where one speaks English. I'm not sure where your are,
> Chris,
> but that could be it in this particular case. For instance, my English
> happens to be American English, while yours might be England English or
> Irish English or Australian English.
Well it's the right English of course ;-).  I take your point though...

> I know the language fairly well myself--used to earn my bread and
> cheese
> writing it--and my wife has a PhD in that area, and for whatever
> reason we
> agree it's okay stat. Besides, with English it's possible to make it
> up on
> the fly--maybe not fair but certainly possible. (Dey do dat aw da time
> in
> boyklin.)

Well, I am not sure that journalism is *always* an authority for good
grammar, but I will accept that you were probably educated during the
period that grammar was taught in schools.  Now, in the UK, grammar is
being taught again (I understand), but the teachers were not taught it,
so ...

> However, there's the sin of redundancy and I was guilty of that, so I
> changed the second and third usage. Sometimes I'll intentionally be
> redundant (and other things as well) just for effect, but this time I
> simply didn't catch my sloppy (over)usage. Appreciate your catch.

Roger.

> Muchas gracias for the aid. Editors are hard to come by, good ones more
> rare still.
De nada ;-)

> Glad you see my point re MAX 400 (and other consumer brands). Normally
> don't buy it (in fact that's only my second usage of that emulsion
> ever to
> my recollection), but you see I ran out near Hyde Park that day and the
> little shop I ducked into was very short of 400 negative stock for some
> reason. As it turned out that was a sort of break as it led to this
> article, not to mention my capture of Mark, the cabbie.
>
> As for color on overcast days: that isn't the issue so much but rather
> lack
> of contrast all around--there's little natural pop in scenes when the
> skies
> are gray. That might be a good deal in some shots but all to often
> results
> in drab pictures. Not always, though!

Contrast, I meant contrast ... colour is not normally a problem in
lower or diffused light conditons of course.  But the choice of taxi
colour was fortuitous  as well.

Chris

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker