[OM] Re: Film media article

Subject: [OM] Re: Film media article
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:50:32 -0800
I've been there. It's a good site in many respects, though one always needs
to understand that they're principally out to sell a product, in this case
S-Spline PRO, as opposed to, another example of a standalone product:

         http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/quality/

While we're at it, here's a quick test (actually, there are several) you
can take for your printer:

         http://www.pbase.com/image/22493977

Anyway, none of this is meant to imply the guys on the site you've listed,
Garth, or the people at the one I've just directed you to (it's a link I
encountered on the Film Scanners list) are necessarily trying to sell
anyone a bill of goods. These people all undoubtedly believe in their
particular software and for all I know it's the best out there--well, all
"equally good" if we consider them in that collective sense. I do think,
though, that we are well advised to keep all of these special-interest
factors in the air simultaneously if we hope to ever successfully juggle
our way to some reasonable form of "truth."

Speaking for myself, I've no ax to grind or product or to sell. I'm happy
to promote Miranda's PS actions as I've used them myself repeatedly and am
convinced they help me get the best possible for-web-display/printed image
from my 2200 _that I can afford at this time_.  If I knew for sure there
was something better to be had (that I could afford) that's the way I'd go
in a heartbeat.

Again, I hope to do some practical work with this eventually and then
publish that on my site. We'll see.

Tris
www.tristanjohn.com