[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #38

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #38
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:16:59 -0800

>Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:19:48 -0500
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] [OT] Rats, it's the E-1 again
>
>After trouncing the 4/3 sensor in an earlier message today I have spent
>a great deal of time trolling discussions of the E-1 vs 10D on the
>dpreview forums and come away convinced that I have to go back and pay
>much more attention to a careful evaluation of the E-1.
>
>Just as I thought my mind was getting settled.  The $300 trade-in (which
>makes it the same price as the 10D (with lens) also adds to the sense of
>unsettlement.  But where, oh where is the MA-1 that would push me over
>the edge?
>
>Chuck Norcutt
>Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Well, it's a pretty sweet camera...that new 150mm f2.0 makes it look
even more tempting, too. If I had to choose, though, I would still go
with the 10D. Why? 6 vs 5 megapixels, CMOS vs CCD sensor, faster
autofocus, 7 autofocus zones instead of three. The E-1 still has
notable autofocus problems even in store-level light, the two times I
used one for some sample photos. I am still hoping my friend will get
one on long-term loan so we can play with it for some length of time.
The build quality of the E-1 is nicer, and the metering seems to work
really really well, as the histograms you get are full and rich with
data. But, IMHO, there's no beating that CMOS sensor for image
quality. Plus, the successor to the 10D will be out sometime this
year, anyway, I would bet. BTW, Chuck, what is an MA-1?

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!