[OM] Re: [OM]Now my question 500mmreflex or 300mm tele

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM]Now my question 500mmreflex or 300mm tele
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:13:44 -0800
cochran@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>I am thinking on getting a used lens to get pictures of an upcoming mountain
>bike competition. The place will be quite dry, almost desert like, in other
>words, plenty of light.
>I am considering the Zuiko 500mm f8 reflex or the Zuiko 300mm f4.5. Both are
>at almost the same price, just a diference of $30. Both are excellent plus
>graded....I tend to go for the 300mm. Any sugestions?

Moving subjects means no tripod. Monopod possible? The 300/4.5 is a lens
some people will be able to hand hold for a long time. Others will find
their arms tiring so that, even if they can still hold it, they can't
hold it steady.  Don't matter how good it is if it isn't steady. Only
you can judge where you stand in this area. I can't hold a 300mm lens
steady enough for really sharp results for more than a minute or two at
a time, and even then I'm fooling myself. I have the pics of a muskrat
at Pt Reyes (far outside its published range) to prove it. Not bad at
5x7, but don't hold up at 8x10. Should have had the monopod that day.

The 500/8 is about half the weight and length, so easier to hold over a
long period. Someone already mentioned the out of focus highlight
problem with mirror lenses. Another potential issue with the 500/8 is
the fixed aperture in the direction people forget until they use one.
'Plenty' of light, can be too much light unless you carefully consider
film choice in bright outdoor conditions. The Zuiko 500mm is unusual in
tht it requires 72mm filters, so an ND filter is expensive. Most of the
third party mirror lenses use small filters screwed into the back of the
lens. Slightly inconvenient if changes are needed often, but small and
cheap filters. The Sigma 600/8 (and others Sigmas??) uses a filter
holder that slips into the side of the lens at the back, the best
solution I've seen.

Moose