[OM] Re: [OM]Now my question 500mmreflex or 300mm tele

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM]Now my question 500mmreflex or 300mm tele
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:56:53 -0800
Unless your eyes are a lot better than mine, you will be much happier with
the 300mm f4.5. I take most of my pictures using a tripod. Even then the
mirror lenses can result in poor images because of focusing errors. If a
lens is faster than f6, I can focus it fairly accurately. The f8 and slower
lenses are pretty difficult. I believe someone on the list published some
pictures he took hand holding a slow mirror lens that were pretty good. I
wouldn't even try it based on my experience to date. Focusing on a moving
bicycle with an f8 mirror would be impossible for me.

I like the Zuiko 300mm f4.5. The published test results of the 300mm f4.5
using a teleconverter aren't very promising. However at least one list
member published some pictures using the 300mm with an extension tube which
were quite nice. The 300mm is small enough that it can be carried around
relatively easily.

A very nice looking Sigma 600mm f8 just went for $75 (including filters,
caps & case). At that price it would be hard not to get it. The Zuiko 500mm
f8 is a nice lens but I seldom carry it because of the difficulty focusing.
There is one or maybe two more Sigmas up for auction. If the price is low
enough they would be worth getting to see if you like them.

The Zuiko 300mm is not something that you would always take along but it
would probably get more use than the slow  mirror lenses. The Tamron 350mm
mirror lens has good test results and seems to be very popular with the
English. If I remember correctly it is an f5.6 and is probably easier to
focus than the f8 mirrors. I think the Zuiko 300 would be a better lens
unless size and weight were very important. Being able to stop down after
focusing makes it much easier to quickly get a good image.

The big Tamron's; 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f4 work very well with the Zuiko 1.4x
teleconverter. I haven't tried them with the 2x teleconverter yet. Another
list member tried his 400 f4 with both the Tamron 2x and the Zuiko 2x
teleconverters. He seemed to get better results with the Zuiko. The big
Tamron's aren't nearly as easy to carry as the Zuiko but they seem to be
sharper.

-jeff