[OM] Re: [OM]Now my question 500mmreflex or 300mm tele

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM]Now my question 500mmreflex or 300mm tele
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:32:41 +0100
<<
On the 500mm. If anyone knows, How good for piggiback astronomical pictures
of the sky. I tend to think that it may be a good cheap alternative to
buying a much more heavier Celestron telescope.(also f8)

David,
I don't own the 500, so I cannot speak for its quality for astronomical
pictures.
But I do have the 300, and even I used it for the sky only a couple of
times (reason follows),
it is a good lens also at maximum aperture. Shots at F8 are more that
double longer as at F4.5.
I used a lot the 135/2.8 in the past with good results. For a mini
selections of pictures go to
webshots, my nickname is giralfino.
When I have some time I will try to shot with the 300 as I bought from not
too much the motor
for my equatorial mount. All my past work was done using my hand as motor,
so using the
300 is not too easy.

Ralf Loi