[OM] Re: camera recommendations please

Subject: [OM] Re: camera recommendations please
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:09:04 -0800
pottyman@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>OK so OM 1 is out, I agree auto is a must for weddings.
>I do use my OM 10 in auto and manual but mostly for landscapes and such.
>So according to this table the only difference in the 4 and 4ti is
>the Super FP Flash support with F280?

That's the only major performance difference.  The 4T(i) replaced the
brass top and bottom plates with titanium (hence the "T"), cool, I
suppose, but not of any real world significance. Oly also improved
overall sealing of the body against dust and water
<http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/crash-test.txt>. The
electronics also were improved, most practically to have a lower at rest
current draw for longer battery life. However, quite a few plain '4's
have this circuit as well. Details and how to tell which circuit are
here <http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/OM-4_circuits.html>.

>so if I am using a t-32 or t-45 there would be no advantage in the 4ti??

Correct

>Also could you give me a ballpark estimate on a good condition
>OM 4 or 4ti?? I wanted to get some idea of how much money I need to
>come up with to do this.

Well, Gord has offered a 4 for $215, which is a good price for a clean
one. A 4T or Ti would likely be at least twice that, with really nice
quite a bit more yet.. The other possible advantage to a T(i) is that
factory repairs will be available for a few years. Olympus doesn't
service the plain 4 anymore. John and Clint do, however. I have a Ti,
but mostly use a couple of 4s with the new circuit.

Moose