[OM] Re: camera recommendations please

Subject: [OM] Re: camera recommendations please
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:19:15 -0000
Take a look at the previously referred links Carlos, and you will see that
OM-4 has a built in hotshoe with connections for T-series flashes, as well
as a separate TTL connector for extension cords, which allow use of T-series
flashes off camera.  If you are proposing to use either a flash grip, or a
handheld T-series flashgun off camera, then the hot shoe will not help you
at all.  The TTL connector with the relevant cord is what you need.

One difference not noted between OM-1 and OM-4 is that without a battery,
the OM-4 is pretty much dead (except for a fixed shutter speed of 1/60s).
The OM-1 will operate without batteries (the meter will not operate), but
batteries for OM-1 are hard to find, unless you use an adaptor, or have the
camera converted to use modern batteries - as I have done. And keep in mind
that the batteries you use in your OM-10 can be alkaline or silver oxide.
For the OM-4 they must be silver oxide.

If you propose to use flash for the wedding exposures, then auto-exposure
alone is going to be redundant - I think you need to look for TTL flash
exposure control, and keep in mind that with the OM-4 and T-series flashes
(which do provide TTL flash exposure control) you will be limited to shutter
speeds not faster than 1/60s.  The OM-4Ti with F280 allows you to get around
that limitation.

$215 for an OM-4 seems a good price to me, even ignoring the present dollar
rate, assuming condition is good.  Ask Gord how long the battery check
beeper sounds for if it it left in battery check mode.  Ideally it will be
30 secs.

Piers