[OM] Re: Hi-res EVF, was: Digital, manual camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Hi-res EVF, was: Digital, manual camera
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:25:22 -0800 (PST)
>I just re-read the Minolta A2 announcement concerning the
>922,000 pixel EVF and it does go on to say "four times as many
>as before".  My math says 3.9 but who's quibbling?

Rounding errors and probably a framing pixel or two.

Regardless, the improved viewfinder is enough for me to wait for
the A2 instead of springing for the A1.  Unless image noise goes
off the chart, then I'll reconsider the decision.  But, I
suspect that the increase in noise will actually look more
natural due to the increased pixel count.  Noise, like grain,
isn't always a bad thing--if it looks natural and fits the
subject.

>I'm continually amazed at how people are more and more willing
>to accept reductions in quality and ever-worsening ergonomics
>because that's what thwy are handed.

That's one reason why I've struggled so much with the transition
to digital.  Sorry, but I have a problem with paying $1,000 for
a digital camera (DREBEL, D70) that are based on $75 throw-away
camera bodies.  Do you know WHY these cameras have low-90%
coverage viewfinders?  Poor manufacturing tolerances.

The decision to buy a Minolta didn't come lightly.  I felt that
the camera design is sufficiently matured for the category and
with 8MP, VGA viewfinder and high-quality lens (with 49mm filter
ring to be compatable with all my extras for the OM system). I'm
confident that the camera will serve my immediate needs and will
be a fine backup camera for when I invest in a full-blown DSLR
system.  Who knows, I might just go with their DSLR system when
it's available.

As much as I really liked the ergonomics of the E-1, I can't
justify taking the risk of buying into a system that the
manufacturer is so unresponsive to the buyer/user.  Like I said
before:  No Zuiko adaptor, no 4/3.  Compatability with a film
system is paramount.

AG/AU-Schnozz