[OM] Re: DSLRs, was OT language stuff again

Subject: [OM] Re: DSLRs, was OT language stuff again
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:39:34 +0000
Winsor

I wish I were; I might lose a little weight and get off the ground more
easily ;-)

The fact that pro photog have moved to digital tells us nothing except
that the quality is good enough for magazines, newspapers or postcards.
  I did not dispute that that might be the case,  What I meant was that
we on the List seem now to be enamoured of DSLRs that are little
different from the 'wunderbricks' that we railed against last year.

I have just read a review in Amateur Photographer on the new Sigma 12 -
35 (?) zoom (it's upstairs next to my bed and I dare not risk waking my
wife to check the exact zoom range ;-)).  The max aperture is 4.5-5.6.
Take a dim day in England, or anywhere else in the world, and how many
good shots will you get with the limited (noiseless) exposure range of
a digital camera?

For speed, quality and ease of use (I refer you to John Duggan's recent
encounter with his G5's instructions...) I shall stick to my OMs for a
little longer.  I might even sell my AF Contax G2.... ;-)

Chris

On 20 Feb 2004, at 20:29, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Off your feed, Chris?
>
> Have you tried any DSLRs? True they can be used as automatic point and
> shoots and with the plastic of many of them they could qualify for the
> "wunderbrick" epithet. They are dependent on batteries, but most are
> rechargeable. However, they are not necessarily slow, clumsy, or
> limited photographically. Much of the image discussion is a result of
> attention focussed there because it is a new process. No one would
> pretend that film images taken with ultrawide lenses are free of color
> aberration or coma. Interestingly because of that interest lenses have
> been improved so that they are better now for digital or film. Digital
> slrs are different from film slrs and new techniques related to the
> technology such a sensor cleaning have to be learned. The the mass
> exodus of pro photographers from film does not support the idea that
> they are toys.
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.