[OM] Re: Photo 101 Questions - Old Dog Tries to Learn New Tricks

Subject: [OM] Re: Photo 101 Questions - Old Dog Tries to Learn New Tricks
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:15:18 -0000
At first I misunderstood your question Bill, then realised you are probably
not talking about projecting transparencies, but prints!

What you need for that is usually called an epidiascope, though technically
all you need is an episcope (the -dia- bit signifies that it can project
lantern slides as well as opaque objects).  Google will throw up several
links for epidiascope, some of them helpful.

Here is one episcope:
http://www.kindermann.de/content/e135/e139/e166/index_eng.html

And here is an epidiascope up for auction in New Zealand (!) which has been
re-listed several times with no bids - but take a look at the start price of
USD1500:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=9104569

You might find that a _portable_ OHP would do the job (the kind that uses a
flat mirror under the OHP slide, illuminated from above, rather than a big
'light box' under the OHP) but I suspect the level of illumination will be
too low - epidiascopes have BIG demands on light, 500w and upwards.

BUT this is 19th century technology, and pretty expensive.  Have you though
of using scanned originals projected using a video projector - much more
widely available, and likely to be available on loan too.

Piers