[OM] Re: DSLRs, was OT language stuff again

Subject: [OM] Re: DSLRs, was OT language stuff again
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:57:29 -0800

On Feb 20, 2004, at 11:39 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> I wish I were; I might lose a little weight and get off the ground more
> easily ;-)

You have my sympathy. At least I don't have the humiliation of being
weighed to do my work.

> I have just read a review in Amateur Photographer on the new Sigma 12 -
> 35 (?) zoom (it's upstairs next to my bed and I dare not risk waking my
> wife to check the exact zoom range ;-)).  The max aperture is 4.5-5.6.
> Take a dim day in England, or anywhere else in the world, and how many
> good shots will you get with the limited (noiseless) exposure range of
> a digital camera?

It is true that a lot of slow zooms have become popular and you live in
a dim place(talking about the weather here.  ;-) ), but the slow ISO on
many DSLRs starts at 200.

> For speed, quality and ease of use (I refer you to John Duggan's recent
> encounter with his G5's instructions...) I shall stick to my OMs for a
> little longer.  I might even sell my AF Contax G2.... ;-)

It is true that there is nothing simpler than my tried and true OM. But
the G5 is like the upper level Coolpixes, A-1s, etc. They are the
ultimate P&S with all the options. They are actually more complicated
and difficult to use than a DSLR primarily because of fewer controls,
more menu and the limitations imposed by the small size of their chips
such as apertures smaller than F8 not being available because of
diffraction. The nice thing about a DSLR is that you can pretty well
set it up to operate in aperture preferred auto and focus manually like
an OM4T. Finder is a bit dimmer and smaller though, but what camera's
isn't?