[OM] Re: Cosina/Espon digital RF

Subject: [OM] Re: Cosina/Espon digital RF
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:39:33 +1100
>On Feb 19, 2004, at 1:34 AM, Jim Brokaw wrote:
>>
>>  The camera is interesting but I don't see any advantage to having them
>>  make
>>  it in OM mount. The rangefinder would not couple to Zuiko lenses, so it
>>  would be strictly scale focusing. Even if it offered manual control of
>>  aperture and shutter speed, it would be more awkward to use than an
>>  adapter
>>  on a Canon digital SLR. The digital Epson/Cosina rangefinder is pretty
>>  much
>>  only going to be useful with Leica and Cosina-Voigtlander and similar
>>  mount
>>  lenses, some of which are not too bad anyway... <g>
>
>No, I didn't mean as an RF. Cosina has gotten a huge amount of mileage
>out of that body. Bessa L, T, R, R2, OM-2000, FM-10, FE-10 (I think
>those are the 2 Nikon bodies, could be wrong), etc, etc. One of the
>more recent variations was an M42 mount SLR. My thinking was that if
>they can put a digital back on this body and make it work as an RF then
>they can probably do the same thing with any of the SLR versions of the
>body too.

The possibilities are endless but other versions of the Bessamatic
beyond the M42 version have not appeared. Also, the R2 is
substantally altered to say the least - rangefinder, short film-lens
distance, no mirror, double shutter. To describe it as the same body
is a stretch. Rather it is a different body which shares some basic
components. But, those components are significant - the back
structure, which is relevant in this discussion, is shared. We can
but hope for an OM2000 didge but I'm not holding my breath or
anything else.
AndrewF