[OM] Re: Olympus vs Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus vs Digital
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 07:51:32 +0000
John

I see myself using my G5 for snapshots, and for checking before using
my OM stuff - checking for interest, framing, lighting etc... I think
that digital is invaluable for the immediacy of results, not
necessarily for that quality.  I have taken some pleasing shots with
the G5 though... as a matter of interest, I find the RAW output
difficult to adjust (skies a little magenta?).

All in all, using a digital compact should improve my film photography
- something like Stephen was saying.

An (rather loose) analogy is airborne navigation: after I had used an
inertial navigation system with projected map display in the Jaguar, my
dead reckoning navigation became better without the system later on ...
I said it was a loose analogy ;-)

I use a darkroom tent in our second 'kitchen".  It's not ideal as it's
a little ... compact, but it works.

Chris

On 22 Feb 2004, at 00:01, john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Chris, I agree with your comments. We are gradually making sense of
> the Can*n. It does seem a robust, well thought out camera.
> There are obvious advantages in being able to preview results, but it
> just seems a lot to remember at once.
> I suppose I take for granted what I have learned about "Film" over the
> years, and using the Olympus now seems second nature. If I go down the
> digital route it will probably be scanning in negs and printing with
> Epson scanner.
>   This is becoming much more likely, I went into school to do some
> printing (1/2 term) to find the darkroom unusable. Dev trays left out
> for 5 days and the whole place left like a tip by an art group :-(
> Packs of paper open, Prints and negs everywhere, including the FLOOR,
> sink piled high with dirty measuring jugs,all this in a space about 8'
> x 6'!
> Would have taken 2hrs just to be able to work in there! Closed the
> door and walked away. I will go ballistic next week when I see the
> staff responsible. No room for dark room at home so scanning becomes
> the preferred option.

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.