[OM] Re: Focus screen 1-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Focus screen 1-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:53:03 -0800
All right, you asked for it. A local survey reveals 5 (!) different tab
markings for 1-1 screens.
Imagine this grid:
_____
|_|_|_|  With the top line of boxes labeled 1, 2, 3.
|_|_|_|  And the bottom row labeled 4, 5, 6.

I found a total of 8 screens:
1 screen with no dot at all  1(0).
3 screens with 1 dot in position 4  1(1).
2 screens with 2 dots in positions 4 and 6  1(2a).
1 screen with 2 dots in postitions 2 and 6  1(2b).
1 screen with 3 dots in positions 1, 4 and 6 1(3).

Seven of these screens were in cameras, for which the serial numbers are:
1(0)     206,xxx
1(2a)    281,xxx
1(1)     554,xxx
1(1)     679,xxx
1(3)     902,xxx
1(2b)  1,096,xxx
1(2a)  1,100,xxx

No solid pattern, just a general trend, but screens do get interchanged.
Now we can assume some complex hidden differences.... Or simply that
they are marks to show which of several molds a given screen came out
of, so any flaws can be traced to the source.

Now there's about an hour of my life I'll never get back. But.......
There was a payoff. One body I checked had a pristine 1-7 screen in it
that I hadn't noticed. It now has a 1-13 and the 1-7 is in a nice Oly
screen box.

In answer to the inevitable question, yes, I'm trying to corner the
market in black OM-1 bodies. (Evil cackles, hands wrung together
evilly!). Really, I have this little project to create a few close to
mint black OM-1 bodies (and keep the best one for myself!). To that end
there are some good OM-1 bodies (some CLAed), some OM-1 parts bodies,
some OM-10 and G(20) parts bodies with good prisms and a few new old
stock black top plates. Trouble is, I'm way behind schedule, whatever it
was. Retirement is so seductive, so many lovely time-consuming
non-activities to participate in, like this list.

Moose