[OM] ( OM ) Getting close to FANG territory ??

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Getting close to FANG territory ??
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:43:10 +1300
Hi folks,

I'm supposed to be husbanding my money with greater care this year than
for the past two or three, but sometimes I get tempted. You know how it is.
Zuikoholism has nothing to do with it; it's just plain greed and envy.
And "just in case".

A day or so ago I checked the website of my favourite retailer and was
amazed to see in the 2nd hand OM lens page an entry for Olympus 1.4 xA
teleconverter; $140. Haven't ever seen one of those before.  They'd not had
one in the last 4 years at least  - probably much longer..

I was going to leave calling in there until tomorrow when some prints were
due to be collected; but this morning I had to take my son nearby to catch a
lift down to his University, so I thought I'd call in on my way back home today.

Asked for the OM cabinet to be opened, and ferreted through for it. I just
couldn't see it among all the other converters and lenses, so I turned away a
trifle disappointed. The owner happened to be alongside with another client
and asked me what I was looking for and I told him. .He reached in and
pulled it out from somewhere at the front - I hadn't recognised it with both
caps on. Then he said, when we both had a laugh; "Oh well, I 'll have to
charge you full price having seen the look of relief on your face"; and I just
laughed some more. Then he said; "lets have a look at it again" so I handed
it over, and he said - "Tell Dave behind the counter to call it $110".

So; there it was, for $110 in my hands. That's $110 NZ .  If you're in the
USA, you'd call the starting price $95 and the knock-down price $74.50.

Somewhat different from Skip's records, I'd say.

I thought I'd not rub it in by saying what they normally go for.on oBoy.

Glass looked pretty grubby and I though it had had contact with metal; but it
cleans up just fine. It will be just fine and dandy with the 300.

My 2 cents  =|;-)>

What ever else happens today, this part has been pretty good.

Brian