[OM] Re: OT Darkroom Thermometer

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Darkroom Thermometer
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:46:52 -0500
You can heat the thermometer up so the "bubble" is forced into the expansion
chamber at the top and the two sections rejoin. Assumptions:
- there's a small expansion chamber at the top (all the ones I've seen do).
- the temperature required to get the spirit up to there (you can estimate)
  is less than 100C. Also, that this is less than the boiling point of the
  spirit. For my Patterson, it's about 70C.
These are probably safe assumptions.

This method won't work if the break is too far down - you'd have to overheat
the thermometer.

Put the thermometer in a pan of warm water on the stove. Slowly heat the
water up so that not only the first bit of spirit but also the second comes
up to the chamber. If there's a bubble, tap gently to pop it. Now remove the
thermometer from the water and let it cool slowly. If you cool it too
quickly and the column separates, start again.

I'd suggest wearing some kind of eye protection in the unlikely event you do
overheat it and it pops. I've never seen this happen though, and I've done
quite a few. Don't bang the bulb against the pan when it's hot, OK?

In the very unlikely event you are a resident of the state of California, do
not attempt anything with the slightest degree of risk. Contact a licensed
thermometer disposal provider to remove the item from your home, and contact
your lawyer just in case. Contact your therapist for grief aftercare. And
don't buy another - it might happen again and cause you undue mental
anguish.

Andrew