[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #43

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #43
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:59:53 -0800

>Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:25:30 -0500
>From: BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: The death of film has been delayed...
>
>>I think the driving force behind most pro movement to digital is reduced
>>cost and saving time and effort in the post shooting workflow. Ý
>I think most pros will tell you that digital may save on film and
>processing (although that is offset by increased computing
>requirements), but workflow is intensified. With film, I send it to
>the lab. They process it, and print or scan it or both. They get
>things color and density corrected. With digital, it's all on me. I
>may save on direct costs, but labor goes wild. For photojournalism,
>that's ok, because they need it fast, and the printing process they
>work under is, errrr, forgiving.
>
>And that's not including time spent cleaning sensors.
>
>Bill Pearce

Bill,

You raise an interesting point about workflow....this has been
discussed a lot on publications like PDN (Photo District News)...most
pros feel that the time behind the computer is increased, but
overall, the consensus is that their productivity is greater overall.
Developing, processing and (really good) scan and or printing is
still time consuming (for somebody) and expensive. As for the labor,
well, once you get your workflow down, it's not too bad. I can
usually have  a photo ready for print in 5 minutes or so, 10 minutes
tops. That's pretty fast when you consider the hours and hours and
hours I have put in in the darkroom, getting a print just right. But
the thing for pros is they don't worry about the labs losing or
screwing up their film anymore. Moreover, they KNOW when they got the
shot they were looking for, such as that perfect ice-cube splash shot
for the liquor ad. The film and processing cost savings is
substantial...I figure I shot between 15,000 and 20,000 frames last
year....that would have cost me roughly $5,000-$7,000 in film costs
and processing. I've talked to pro who usually spent $15,000-$20,000
per year in film and processing costs.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!