[OM] Re: OT Hawaii Photo Op Recommendations (was: OT Darkroom Thermomet

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Hawaii Photo Op Recommendations (was: OT Darkroom Thermometer)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:02:34 -0700
At 12:50 PM 23/02/2004, Les Clark wrote:
>In <40395D38.8020800@xxxxxxxxxxx>, on 02/22/04
>    at 08:54 PM, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> >The English simply figured that by the time the temperature reached 30
> >degrees C that everyone would be swooning and unable to read the scale
> >anyway.
>
>Upon my first visit to England -- *many* years ago -- I visited a
>delightful pub with an outside garden.
>
>I was amazed to see a middle-aged woman in lovely tweeds faint dead away
>when the temperature reached seventy-five degrees F.

Yeah, a buddy of mine in Cambridge says that the kind of summers we
regularly see in Edmonton would've caused panic in the streets in
Cambridge.  It really depends on what you're used to (and what you're
willing to, er, remove, especially in polite company) when it comes to heat
tolerance.  To me, 30 Celsius (86 Fahrenheit) is damned hot, although when
it's a dry heat it's lovely.  The warmest we got in Edmonton last summer
was 35 Celsius (95 Fahrenheit) in my back yard.  Didn't bother me a bit --
I just popped the top off another beer and fired up the barbecue.  ;-)

And on the note of lovely heat, my wife has won a trip to Hawaii at the end
of March/beginning of April through her company where she worked like a dog
the past year.  Thus, questions for the assembled masses of wise ones,
after some preliminary comments:

The first five days we are *required* to stay at a luxury five-star resort
on the Kona coast of the Big Island (don't everybody make pitying sounds
all at once now) while my wife attends various work-related seminars,
meetings, conferences etc., and I get to lie on the beach and explode into
flames under the tropical Pacific sun (or, alternatively, finally learn to
golf on the course that's attached to the resort).  We also get a paid
helicopter tour of the coast and a tour of one of the active volcanoes (not
by chopper, unfortunately).  I should attend a couple of functions with my
wife (and I will), but other than that, my time is largely my own.

My questions:

1.  We have to take three separate flights to get to Kona: one from
Edmonton to Honolulu (on Oahu), one from Honolulu to Hilo (on the Big
Island, "Hawaii" proper) and one from Hilo to the Kona coast on the west
side of the Big Island.  I'm pretty sure each leg will require X-raying of
film, so I'm tempted to buy professional film after arrival at the
resort.  Is this wise?  Can pro film even be had on the Kona coast?  I'm
trying to secure Fuji stuff, preferably Provia or similar slide film.

2. What "must see" photo ops are there on the Big Island?

3. If you had to travel anywhere at all in the Hawaiian Islands after this,
explicitly for the purpose of keeping your spouse happy whilst maximizing
the opportunities for awesome photos, what would you do?

4. Are pro development services available on the Big Island (or anywhere
else), do they have fast turnaround, or should I just mail my exposed film
back to myself in Edmonton and get it developed there?

Thanks for any and all suggestions etc. in advance.

Garth