[OM] Re: OT Hawaii Photo Op Recommendations (was: OT Darkroom Thermomet

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Hawaii Photo Op Recommendations (was: OT Darkroom Thermometer)
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:20:00 -0800
At 05:02 PM 2/23/2004 -0700, Garth Wood wrote:
Almost all of my recently posted Hawai'i pics are around Hilo and the
Volcano National Park.

>My questions:
>
>1.  We have to take three separate flights to get to Kona: one from
>Edmonton to Honolulu (on Oahu), one from Honolulu to Hilo (on the Big
>Island, "Hawaii" proper) and one from Hilo to the Kona coast on the west
>side of the Big Island.  I'm pretty sure each leg will require X-raying of
>film, so I'm tempted to buy professional film after arrival at the
>resort.  Is this wise?  Can pro film even be had on the Kona coast?  I'm
>trying to secure Fuji stuff, preferably Provia or similar slide film.

My films got zapped at least twice, one inbound and one outbound and couple
rolls were left over from an earlier trip so they got zapped four times.
None has shown any problem. If you worry, buy a roll of Delta 1600 and put
all the film together and request hand checking.

>2. What "must see" photo ops are there on the Big Island?

The volcanoes!!! We spent 3 days there and it's too short :-)

>3. If you had to travel anywhere at all in the Hawaiian Islands after this,
>explicitly for the purpose of keeping your spouse happy whilst maximizing
>the opportunities for awesome photos, what would you do?

I heard Maui is "magical."

>4. Are pro development services available on the Big Island (or anywhere
>else), do they have fast turnaround, or should I just mail my exposed film
>back to myself in Edmonton and get it developed there?

Ha ha ha. Slides? You probably have to send them back and wait. I develop
my own slides so it didn't matter.

use richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)