[OM] OM-1 Storage Question

Subject: [OM] OM-1 Storage Question
From: "Daniel Sepke" <fred42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:03:20 -0500
Hi there All,

I have just go an OM-1 that has come out of long term storage (back of the
closet) and its shutter speeds are on target when checked in sequence around
the dial. But when you go out of sequence sometimes it lags a little.
Example when you go from 1/60th directly to 1 sec the first shot at 1 sec is
still 1/60th having taken that shot the following ones are correct at 1 sec.
Obviously the shutters clock work is gummed up somewhere or a spring has
gone weak and would benefit from cleaning and relubing.

What I am wondering is does the setting you leave the shutter on have a best
setting where the mechanical elements are less likely to get gummed up as
described above? Looking at my dead parts body (AKA the 'learning' body)
shutter timing mechanism it would suggest that the best place is to leave it
on either Bulb or 1 sec but if there is a more educated view I would love to
hear it.

When overhauling an OM-1 shutter what is best method for cleaning out old
dried out lubricants and then relubricating? Each time I get a chance to get
into my learning body I am fascinated by the construction of the OM-1, its
just marvellous to see the solutions to miniaturisation in the mechanics.

Dan S.