[OM] Re: Flash photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash photography
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:57:50 -0500
At 3:21 AM +0100 2/23/04, Listar wrote:
>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:27:57 -0500
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: Flash photography
>

>Joe Gwinn wrote:
>
> >>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >>Subject: [OM] Re: Flash photography
> >>
> >>One slightly disconcerting outcome of this experiment was that I tested
> >>two T-32's and both gave me the same results with the flash meter.
> >>However, both were a full stop below what would have been indicated in
> >>the straight-on shots using guide number instead of the meter.  Don't
> >>know why yet.
> >

> > I would guess that it's the angular spread:  When shhoting straight on,
>  the light from the flash spreads out only enough to fill a 35mm frame
>  using a 50mm lens.  When the flash bounces off the ceiling, it instead
>  spreads out in all directions, and so most goes the wrong direction and
>  so is lost to the process, even though white paint has ~90% reflectance.
> >
> > Joe Gwinn
>
>Actually, a T-32 has enough spread to cover a 24mm lens within its
>stated guide number.  The loss of light due to extra distance and less
>than perfect reflectance is well understood but what I didn't understand
>is why my T-32's are both measuring a stop below what they should be
>when not bouncing off anything.  I was deliberately waiting 20-30
>seconds after the ready light to make sure they were full charged.  I'll
>have to do some more testing.

If you can measure the voltage on the flash capacitor, do it.  It should be
something like 330 volts DC.  Stored energy in watt-seconds (joules) is
computed as (0.5)(capacitance)(voltage^2), so if the voltage is 235 volts, the
power will be down to one half, a one-stop loss.  The other possibility is that
the flash capacitor is failing, but the more common failure mode is to become
shorted or open.

Joe Gwinn