[OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:39:32 -0800
At 07:16 PM 2/24/2004 -0800, Rob Harrison wrote:

>I find myself in a bit of a quandary. Please be gentle. I feel like a
>wanker to even be asking these questions to this august forum, but here
>goes. Skip has already heard some of this.

A small number of us, including but probably not limited to, Skip, GeeBee,
Peter, and I own both Le$ca and OM and shoot with both....

With the right lens, Le$ca excels at wide open, slow shutter, low light
work. There is nothing in the OM line like the 35/1.4ASPH. W/o a mirror,
you get at least one, and may be two extra stops, plus w/ the faster glass,
you are talking about 2-4 extra stops.

When I need the macro, or telephoto, or general versatility of a SLR, I
wouldn't use any camera except for the OM. It's small and compact and it's
simple, just like the Leicas. The 50/2 and 90/2 are about as good as any
Leica lens, although the Lecia 90/2AA is better at wide open, the Zuiko
90/2 bokeh is buttery smooth.

Most importantly though, just shoot, shoot, and shoot some more!!

use richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)