[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #46

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #46
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:51:13 -0800

>From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: Printing B&W on an Epson 2200-Get a RIP!
>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:43:00 -0800
>

>There is a 2200 list over at Yahoo. Fortunately it is not as busy as
>this one and more centered on topic.
>
>There is nothing wrong with the driver of the 2200. Although I haven't
>done any black and white, the traffic on the list seems to indicate
>that while metamerism is greatly reduced from that of the 2000P, it is
>still a mild presence that is only irritating to a few. Most people who
>care eliminate it by experimenting with some of the myriad third party
>profiles that are available everywhere, either free or for a price. I
>suspect that the expensive RIP solutions work just because they are
>using their own profile. A new profile is easily added to the Epson
>driver and Epson just issued 7 or 8 new profiles for the 2200 which can
>be dowloaded from their site.
>

>Winsor
>Long Beach, California
>USA
>On Feb 24, 2004, at 8:14 AM, Walt Wayman wrote:

Metamerism is always present, and indeed is necessary part of the
means by which we perceive color as part of the tristimulus system.
A good discussion of metamerism and our perception of color is in
Bruce Fraser's "Real World Color Management".

But, I disagree that there is nothing wrong with the Epson printer
driver...there is, with respect to printing B&W, it is a well-known
and was discussed at some length in my color management course at the
Santa Fe Workshop by my instructor, Andrew Rodney of The Digital Dog
in Santa Fe, NM., who i s one of the premier color management experts
in the U.S.  The problems with the Epson driver are also discussed
by ColorByte with respect to the improvement that their RIP provides,
and by reviewers of the product (see the review by Ian Lyons). The
Imageprint RIP works not only by providing a profile, but also with
respect to controlling the printer with respect to how it lays down
ink. Andrew Rodney noted that it did not lay down yellow while
printing B&W, as the Epson driver did to some extent, resulting in
the problems that Dick Smith was talking about in his experiments in
printing black and white.   In  this respect it is markedly superior
to the Epson driver. A profile will help obtain neutrality, but it
does so by remapping the meaning of the numbers, it does nothing with
controlling the printer with respect to how ink hits paper. That is
what the driver does, and this is what the Imageprint RIP does better
than the Epson driver. Michael Reichmann of The Luminous Landscape
reviewed Imageprint and stated, "Possibly the greatest benefit to
some Imageprint users will be its ability to print absolutely
neutral  monochrome prints."

He concludes,

"Bottom line? Whether on the Mac or the PC, Imageprint is still the
best way to do high quality printing, whether for the most fastidious
fine-art photographer, or in a high-volume commercial environment.
Only the high cost of entry will prevent more people from adopting
this remarkable tool, and even then, if they could see for themselves
both the increase in productivity and image quality, even price
wouldn't be an impediment.
My highest recommendation."

Of course, even the best RIP won't help you if you don't have your
color management act down cold and understand how to meaningfully do
tonal remapping in Photoshop (this does not mean running Auto Levels
or trying to do color correction on a laptop TFT screen). The most
important point here being getting your image set with black point,
white point and your neutrals dead-on. Michael Kieran's book,
Photoshop Color Correction is excellent for learning how to do this.
It has really,really helped me with getting the details and color
right in my production workflow.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!