[OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:52:35 -0800
Absolute heresy!

The Oly shift lenses are very easy to use and are useful whenever there are
straight lines in the picture ... actually even when there aren't. I find
it's pretty easy to use them handheld while walking around San Francisco.
When I walk out into the middle of the street to take a picture I don't
always have time to set up a tripod. The shift lenses aren't useful for
portraits but can be useful for groups of people when you want to shift who
appears closer and who appears farther away. I take them with me nearly all
of the time.

I used to think that people who weren't around pine trees didn't see the
need for correcting the verticals in landscape shots ... I think its
something entirely different at play.

Yes I use a tripod 90% of the time but not because of the shift lenses. I
find the Oly lenses are easy to use handheld. I probably use a tripod 99% of
the time I use either of my rangefinders. If you take pictures of things
that don't move, the shift lenses provide more flexibility. If you take
pictures of things that change fast your time is better spent paying
attention to what is changing rather than trying to change the image.

-jeff