[OM] Re: First Arenacross shoot-Holy Smokes!

Subject: [OM] Re: First Arenacross shoot-Holy Smokes!
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:34:31 -0700
On Feb 25, 2004, at 9:56 AM, Dick Lague wrote:
> I not an arena cross racer, but I have done enough riding to know a few
> things.
>
> 1. you "drive" a car and you "ride" a motorcycle.

I caught that after I sent it out :)  Not enough caffeine.  No offense
meant of course.  While I don't ride motorcycles, I do ride bicycles
fairly avidly and the same applies.

> 2. whether the rear wheel is spinning or not isn't important.  The
> important thing is that you are back on the gas when you hit the
> ground.
> You don't want the contact with the ground for the rear wheel to happen
> when the wheel is stopped.  The engine braking will slam the front end
> down.  You want a bit of front end high attitude.
> If you had the back brake on, the whole suspension would bottom out and
> your would be in big trouble.

Yes, I see that now, but I don't get your comment that the rear wheel
spinning or not is unimportant.  It seems that from both the reason you
give as well as to adjust the bike's attitude, you would need to play
with the rear wheel's speed while in the air.

> 3. stopping the rear wheel will give you some nose down attitude, but
> you want to get the front end back up with a bit of throttle.

So it would seem that right after takeoff the rider would want to apply
the rear brake to start the bike rotating.  After the bike has rotated
enough, they would then apply the throttle to both stop the rotation
and/or bring the front wheel back up as well as match the rear wheel's
speed to the speed of the bike again.  Sound right?

Mark