[OM] Re: (No To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [OM] Re: (No To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
From: Humbert Humbert <0humbert0humbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:44:10 -0600
Howdy Walt --

I actually know a couple of Texans down here who speak splendid French
(including the Austin bureau chief of the Dallas Fort Worth Star)...
and my wife is a three-term Texan and a U of H alumna. We're also
working on a... yes, a glass house in Austin, (imagine the shading
issues). As to summers, well, they ain't much worse than what I
encountered in Provence this year (most people don't even have
fans)...

BTW, did you know there's an Alsatian town in the Hill Country called
Castroville? Somebody ought to try to assemble a photo portfolio on
'The French in Texas". UT did a symposium on that and it's surprising
how many French guys showed up and settled here after Cavelier de la
Salle and his ill-fated expedition. BTW, I tend to find the French and
Texans about equally...er... 'disciplined.' Especially on the road ;-)

Phil