[OM] Re: First Arenacross shoot-Holy Smokes!

Subject: [OM] Re: First Arenacross shoot-Holy Smokes!
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:57:00 -0500

>Yes, I see that now, but I don't get your comment that the rear wheel
>spinning or not is unimportant.  It seems that from both the reason you
>give as well as to adjust the bike's attitude, you would need to play
>with the rear wheel's speed while in the air.

I think it is because the inertia or rate of rotation of the motorcycle is
the most important thing here.  Controlling rotation by increasing torque
of the engine and rear tire or by braking the rear tire keep the rotation
of the whole bike in check.  I wonder how much the torque of the engine on
acceleration around the center of inertia applies?

But for the high jump where the riders lay the bike horizontal while
passing over a bar., I think there it would be very important to stop the
wheels to minimize the gyroscopic effect of the spinning wheels.  Those
riders have the bike rotating in several different axis at once.

gregg