[OM] Re: [lens] Re: OT How many cameras?

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: OT How many cameras?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:19:05 -0800
on 2/26/04 9:45 AM, James N. McBride at jnmcbr@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I've thought it would be good to have an endoscope and have bid on several
> but never "won" one. My wife is happy about that because it would be too
> tempting to put it on display to embarrass her friends. They are handy for
> looking into places other than what they were designed for. One is limited
> only by one's imagination. /jmac

I can see using it for checking out inside motorcycle engines... just pull a
sparkplug and poke it in. I've heard that there are 'borescopes' that are
used for checking out the inside of gun barrels... looking for pitting or
worn rifling I guess.

One place I worked we had a run of circuit boards made with defective
IC's... unfortunately it wasn't discovered until the boards were out in the
field and failing. As these were mil-spec PC's the government wasn't too
happy about it. As the PC board was inside the case -and- covered with a
sheetmetal shield soldered in place, it was determined that the best way to
determine if the PC had the defective part was to use an "inspection scope"
through a small opening uncovered when a side panel was removed. This
inspection was done using a special borescope that would fit through a hole
~4mm, and carried its own light in there too. The cost of this was many
thousands, sending an engineer and equipment all over to do inspections...
and a big lawsuit ensued over who got to pay. My testimony was that the IC
supplier claimed to sell us one thing but shipped another... I think they
lost to the tune of ~$300,000 on that suit.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...