[OM] [OT] Re: Beware: Another scam Paypal message

Subject: [OM] [OT] Re: Beware: Another scam Paypal message
From: "Ian Manners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:34:55 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Tris

> What I know for sure is that I  received no reply to my query.

No matter what the Q is, or how dumb some are, I think it is important
to always send a reply, even one that states it has been forwarded
to the relevant department.

>I also wrote to advice these people that there's no way to even attach an
>offending email in order to forward same to Earthlink security for perusal.
>Since then a function has been added to Earthlink's webmail page to "Flag"
>a message, whatever that means. (I checked "Help" and no explanation was
>available.)

Probably because most people use Outlook, which is very difficult to show
and forward the real headers of an email. We get plenty of spam and other
complaints but we cant act on them, they are forwarded from outlook express
and 99% of the time lack the real headers which we can use to track the
originator, and 99.9999% of the time the spam complaint didnt originate from
our networks, they simply have one of our domains in the from field.

Better get off this subject, I could write a book on SPAM and a particular
company, who spend to much money on marketing, and not enough on
R&D, and proper sw testing.

>Re MS: Steve Gibson (Gibson Research), to name just one, has tried to raise
>a storm over the  open sockets issue in newer Windows installations (what,
>going back three or four years now?) and all he's received for his effort
>at the hands of MS (and some other industry leaders as well, not all,
>though) is a virtual black eye.

He is an odd bod but has the support of a lot of people in the non-MS
world. I refer his website to a lot of friends for testing, and info.

>Again, there has to be accountability somewhere, and I just don't see it
>happening.

The accountability for much of it lies with microsoft, it is their operating
system, and their applications which are causing 96% of the problems.
The other 3% is the social engineered scams, which also would be more
obvious if not for the bugs in outlook, and Internet Exploder. 1% are sundry
issues which affect all people but are normally dealt with by the open source
community very quickly.

>Frankly, it seems to me we live in an age where people not only don't give
>a damn anymore, and when someone pipes up to complain about this it is then
>_he_ who is shouted down.

Which is why people, as much as they would like to help, stick to their
own little slice of product now, its not nice being sued when all you try
to do is help.

>A sad story.

It is, sigh, the entire legal and corp systems need to come back to
earth with some common sense re litigation etc.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/photo/