[OM] Re: [OT] Re: Beware: Another scam Paypal message

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: Beware: Another scam Paypal message
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:40:49 -0800
on 2/27/04 1:42 PM, Tris Schuler at tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I only meant to respond in spirit
> to the original poster's notice of yet another scam attempt and vent a
> little of my frustration re same. It _does_ seem to have gotten worse just
> the past couple-three weeks, though. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there
> something going on out there all of a sudden to explain this?
>
> Tris

Seems to me the real long-term solution to spam is to not ever respond. If
it were a total waste of time, eventually the spammers would get tired or
burnt out on sending 100 million messages and getting -no- takers on their
bogus offers and scummy deals.

I've resolved that I will never respond to a spam offer, even if from an
otherwise 'legit' company, further I disrespect those companies that
knowingly allow their wares to be promoted via spam. I grant that some
companies may be in a situation where third parties co-opt their products
for illegitimate gain e.g. the many offers for "Norton System Works" or
"Microsoft Windows XP" which are spammed about and, I am certain, have
nothing to do with either Symantec or Microsoft. Those companies should have
more legal tools IMO to go after spammers and 'put the big legal hammer on
their face', but in any case I'll never respond to a spam offer. If I want
the Norton product or XP I'll buy it from a dealer that explicitly does not
spam.

Somehow there must be enough people either foolish, ignorant, or greedy
enough that they reply or the spam would die out. So I'm doing my part... I
wish the other 900 million internet users would. No response would
eventually mean no spam. I hope...!
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...