[OM] Re: : Portfolio print size?

Subject: [OM] Re: : Portfolio print size?
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:13:46 -0400

On Feb 28, 2004, at 4:31 AM, Brian Swale wrote:

> 8 x 12; only way to go.  Well; that's for hanging anyway.
>
> What's the point of using a format that = 6x9 & 8x12, composing for
> that,
> then randomly clipping a lot off ??

I agree about the cropping. Although I will confess that sometimes I've
used it to rescue a print by cutting out annoying power lines in the
bottom or top of an image.

However, something else to consider with a portfolio is if any of the
places you plan on showing it have their own requirements (really
depends on the use of the portfolio). For instance, I'm currently
putting together my own portfolio for an application to my Community
College's photo programme. Their requirements state a maximum size of
8x10 so I'm bound by that requirement. I also have some images that I
want to include that are in different formats. For instance, for my
final project for the photoshop class I took in the fall I made 3
posters which were all tabloid size (11x17, well 16.5x10.5 plus .25
border on all sides), I want to include them. I also have a lot of
shots from slides that I want to include but have them full frame or
close to full frame. I also have some B&W shots that I had printed
myself on 8x10 (cropped) that I wanted to include.

What I decided to do was to adopt 8x10 as my standard paper size. But,
I would adjust the borders to keep aspect ratios the way I wanted them
and to avoid unnecessary cropping. Since my B&W shots all have a .25"
border on all sides, I decided to make the long dimension of all my
images 9.5". Personally, I think in the situation with multiple aspect
ratios it is best to just pick one standard size and then make
everything fit to it, cropping when it's acceptable, adjusting borders
when it's not. This way, when I submit my portfolio, there is a
consistent size throughout the whole presentation instead of some 6x9
images, some 8x10's and some other size(s) thrown in.

OM content, over half the portfolio was taken using an OM-1n. The 3
posters I mentioned were composited images, almost exclusively from my
own photos and most of those were taken with an OM. I plan to include 9
B&W images (20 images in total in the portfolio) and most of them were
taken with an OM-1n. 2 of the printed slides were also OM-1n images.