[OM] Re: Portfolio print size?

Subject: [OM] Re: Portfolio print size?
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:57:58 -0500
Some members of our club are going to do an exhibition as part of Contact
2004, the annual Toronto photo "festival" in May. As part of this we had a
session with management of a serious gallery (Stephen Bulger) on how to
present your work and how to mount an exhibit. Their strong recommendation
was to matte your work and bring it in a portfolio box. Not only does it
improve the appearance but they don't have to worry about smudging or
kinking your prints. They will also accept a binder, but didn't seem as
keen, I think because it doesn't give as good an impression of what it might
look like on the wall. The example they showed was 8x10 in a 16x20 matte,
but 11x14 would be fine if appropriate for the image - they'd probably like
to see whatever size you propose to exhibit and sell.

But it depends on who you're presenting to. A magazine might prefer the
binder. A stock agency might prefer slides.

Shameless plug: Contact is over 120 exhibits from all over the planet, from
big names to not so big (us), more photography than you will likely be able
to take in in a month. Those of you within driving distance should at least
take in a weekend.

See http://www.contactphoto.com/ - though there's not much 2004 content yet.

Andrew