[OM] Re: Silica

Subject: [OM] Re: Silica
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:00:18 -0800
Lots of interesting stuff in this and the other posts. One thing left
out. Some of the stuff that is more expensive has been treated to change
color as it loses its potency. At home with hydrometer, oven, microwave,
clean socks, etc. the cheap stuff is fine. In the field, like the many
days I spent in rain forest on a 3 week trip, the ability to see when
the gel's protective function is exhausted and when it is dry again if
one finds access to an oven or uses a hair dryer, etc., is invaluable.
It was also important to me to know that the spare packets packed in
double zip locks were still viable before using them. With out the color
system, it's just guesswork. It's not like you can just stick your
finger in and tell. If it's that wet, damage has already been done. I
had some of each kind. Next time, it will be color flagged stuff only.

Moose