[OM] Re: ( OM ) I wonder if they used Zuikos? Off-topic

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) I wonder if they used Zuikos? Off-topic
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:24:39 +1100
>There's a NZ TV movies being made right now on Hi Definition video (1000
>lines per screen vs the normal 400) that uses a very expensive TV lens made
>in Australia - it has a depth of focus from infinity right back to about 8 cm
>from the lens front. The film is about scarey insects especially the BIG ones,
>and they wanted to have the insects in focus with the humans walking into
>the picture from a long way back, in focus all the time.
>
>Brian

The technique of using high-def video and reshooting to film will
become more popular - was used on 'Once Upon a Time in Mexico" I
believe to allow a greater range of effects.
I first saw that massive DOF lens used in a piece by David
Attenborough where a grasshopper and the great man were the same
apparent size and both in apparent focus. Neat. It's a really weird
design and was developed by a genius in Central Victoria - I believe
he's now sold the design on to some corporate giant like Sony and
returned to the search for a better mousetrap.
AndrewF