[OM] Re: Sigma lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma lenses
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:57:43 -0800
I don't know about the quality of the image although there are mixed
reviews even on the Canon forum at dpreview. My criticism is that it is
a poor effort by Canon. Olympus says that you need to optimize lens
design for digital. So does Leica. Nikon has redesigned wide angle
lenses for wide angle where optimization is critical. Canon took an old
lens design that had a short, not a long, back focus with a rear
element that protrudes into the mirror box. Rather than do a fresh lens
design they redesigned the mirror motion of the 300D so it would not
hit the lens and put a special mount on the lens so that it cannot be
put on any other Canon camera. Given that the average model life of a
Canon digital camera is less than two years you may end up with a lens
that fits on nothing.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA