[OM] Re: Tamron 80-200 f 2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 80-200 f 2.8
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:11:58 EST
In a message dated 3/1/04 12:45:50 PM Central Standard Time, aemit@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

> With all the praise being sung of this lens,
> how do you people rate the similar Tokina 80-200 f2.8 ?
> I have one, but until now have not found an occasion to use it.
> I certainly would not let go my Zuiko 135 f2.8, I like that more than
> the 85 f2 for portraiture, contrary to what most people think of it.

I think you will find the same high praise for the Tokina AT-X lens.
Although I use my 85mm f2 frequently, when I'm working with adults, as opposed
active children, the 135mm is pretty hard to beat.  Last week I was doing a
demonstration on various filters and filter attaching systems (screw-in and
Cokin)
and set two cameras up with lens, one with a 90mm f2.5 Tamron and the other
with a 135mm f2.8 Zuiko. I was using the Tamron primarily because it takes a
49mm filter.  Both rigs were on tripods and I set them up to do a portrait with
just normal room lighting.  The Tamron had a Softar 1 on it, the Zuiko no
filter but a Cokin filter holder and hood to illustrate how they would be used.

All the students liked the 135mm, which I'm guessing was because it allowed
them
to work at a comfortable distance from their subject while doing a head and
shoulder shot.  I think the comfort was for both the photographer and the
subject.  I'll still keep both and use both, but I guess most out there can
understand that concept.  Zuikos forever!  Bill Barber