[OM] Re: Ree: Re: Tamron 80-200 f 2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Ree: Re: Tamron 80-200 f 2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 02:02:58 -0800
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Gary's reviews are full of variables, and potential inaccuracies, so the
>Tokina might ultimately be the better lens
>
>I would agree that when doing a test, and Gary seems to do a very good one,
>you are looking at a particular lens at a particular time in its life and that
>only speaks of that lens in those conditions.  Most of what we are dealing
>with now is used equipment, the history about which we are clueless.  So to
>generalize about your particular lens based on a test done on another lens
>under
>controlled conditions is folly of the highest order.

I don't disagree. I do think that quality control on these high end
lenses is pretty good and that examples that show no signs of trauma are
probably pretty indicative in general. Also, the Tamron has a special
reputation well beyond Gary's tests.

>The proof is in the pudding.  If you have the lens, go out and use it in the
>way you would normally use
>it.  Check the results.  Are you consistently please or at least pleased? Must
>be a good lens for you.

Have done with both. My earlier comments that differences would only
show up with excellent tripod, etc. were based on that experience. Don't
expect any controlled side by side tests, that isn't fun for me. Mostly
only carry one when there is a real need for speed. Otherwise, I'm more
likely to carry something slower, smaller and lighter with greater zoom
range.

>Anyone on the list is free to use my very unscientific approach to lens
>testing.  It works for me.

Works for me too. I know I like the Tamron SP 60-300mm and 35-105/2.8,
Tokina AT-X 35-200mm and a couple of others that I've never seen test
results on. They give me what I want. Actually, my TOPE 17 shot was made
with a lens that will never be mentioned with great praise for its
excellence in optics. But it did just what I wanted. Another of those
cheap plastic things that just happen to take pretty good pics.

>When I would be most interested in test results and reports of others
>experience is when I am thinking about buying a lens.

Yeah, pretty hard to buy without some basis of choice.

Moose